Saturday, October 6, 2007

How much is that doggie in the window?



*Doggie Pinkeepers*

available for special order at

$42.00 each


These are just too fun!! They are hand-sewn from wool felts~~ doggie is stuffed with sheep's wool, as well as the top pillow or top half of the cushion, then the bottom is filled with crushed walnut shells to keep your pins and needles nice and pointy...! You may request color schemes, and "approximate" breeds :) I'll do my best! Each measures between 5 & 6" high, depending on the style of cushion...each doggie will come with modern and vintage charms, pins, and buttons...very sweet, each puppy is sure to protect your pins precisely!




Did you ever see such a pair?! These two, my friends, are my last bit of self-shopping before Christmas...that wonderful vintage doggie pinkeep and the adorable Stieff Mecki Hedgehog...The Bear Garden says:





"Steiff has had exclusive rights to the manufacture of Mecki hedgehog dolls since 1951. Mecki is a German cartoon character who first becam popular in the early 1950s when he appeared in the TV magazine HORZU. He has been loved now by several generations and he is still carried as a companion or talisman in Germany today. Mucki M is the young girl featured in the series, she stands at 5 inches / 12cm tall. "





She is delightful...you may have noticed that a few days ago, Natalie Merchant was crooning "Jealousy" on the blog (...um, yes, I've been meaning to blog for quite some time!)...this little tune was tribute to Mucki, and my daughter Chloe...when I showed her my new dollie she had the most inscrutable little face...like she might vomit. You know that face, parents? That un-readable pensive paleness that suddenly launches into/onto....well. Chloe had a face like that. And I said, "Sweety!? What's wrong???" And Chloe said, "Nothing. Your doll's great. Really. I'm happy for you." Then she stalked away, as only Chloe can do...thus, the blog tune "Jealousy", to write about sweet Mucki. (And I didn't change the song just because Susan hated it! Really!)...which brings up the topic of blog music. Quite neatly, I might add.





Okay. Maybe I should ditch the play-list. I mean, I am the girl that mixed up about 35 minutes of jamming folk tunes and the such, back in the mid-nineties, and then plunked Nazareth's "Love Hurts" into the middle of it all like a shriveled, cold, baked potato with no shiny jacket...yes, friends, I am her. So admittedly, I am not the best DJ. But this latest foe-pass. Oh my...





You see, I also listened to "Cake". And I wanted to put this Cake song about a piano on my blog...and somehow, someway, that translated into "Italian Leather Sofa". Ever heard it? Well. Okay...I'll just out with it. Are you ready? Hmmmmm??? Thinking I won't confess?! Welllllll....the song talks about:









boobies









Is that dreadful or what? On a business-building, family-connecting, G-rated, fun-lovin' blog. I mean, granted, once you're a Mom, boobies turn into this whole other milk (or lack thereof) sort of thing....I remember so well visiting my local lactation nazis...sitting bare-breasted with all of the other milk-less mommies...secretly checking out each other's babies' cutie gap onesies (thought I was going to say boobies, didn't you?!)





I remember the day I exploded from the boobies clinic with such glee, such joy...I hope my shirt was buttoned, I was so happy~~ so free...skipping with 10 pounds of plastic slapping against my...chest...! My lactation loo-loo had come up with just the thing for my baby and her milk-less mommy....we could nurse! We could bond! It was going to be okay!!!





IT was this amazing/grotesque contraption that had tubes, a rubber disc to fit over said booby, and a little drip bottle of formula...baby gets fed, boob gets "expressed" (though there was no milk), and of course my little darling wouldn't know that a tangle of tubes and discs and the neck thingy it hung off of was not a real booby. No, no. She would be fooled and so would I. This contraption would be our saving grace....





My poor, sweet, tired, loving, husband just stared....at my boobs...in a whole new way, twice over....utilitarian AND plastic? Wow.





We never went back to the clinic.





I don't know where the contraption is either, for that matter.





When my 2nd daughter was born, the exact same lactation guru walked into my room with some hapless trainee following behind, obviously hanging on the woman's every word...the guru said:





"Oh, hello...we'll try just like last time and see...", and then she fled. My boobs are bad for business. Which brings me to another point...





Mommies, you rock. Don't let anyone tell you different. I spoke just today with friend who is sometimes concerned about others' perception of her...that she works a lot, does a lot activity and committment-wise...folks might not know that her kids are with her every step of the way...so they judge. (Of course, you aren't like that! :) ) So here's the thing...we need to all be sweet to each other...ease up on each other. It isn't easy being a Mommy....if you do it right, it's freakitin' exhausting, now and then...you deal with the unexpected...
You walk into a room and things are not as they should be...(like little plastic babies, floating in the fish tank!) Or you walk into an elementary school, that you've walked into a hundred times before, and you go into lock-down....something about a man with a gun? In the "surrounding area" (please define!!)??? And you crouch in the dark and drink a whole soda with your baby...while your bigger baby is in her classroom, which is a million miles or a few yards away, depending on how you look at it. And you wait, in the dark. And you don't cry, no matter what...and it finally doesn't matter one whit that you couldn't nurse, that you haven't done everything perfect, and furthermore~~ that no one else does everything perfect either. NO ONE. Nothing matters except that the three of you get out of the school and get home to tell Dad all about it...you just save what needs saving...scoop it up, fish it out...just what's important....and then... you have it. None of the rest matters.

And you'll never, ever, again forget that you have it.

Okay...I'll confess. We kept the contraption...we clean the fish tank with it.

Until we meet again...

Don't throw the baby out with the fish-water.

Blessings,
Meg

1 comment:

Dixie Redmond said...

Meg - I think you're wonderful.

Dixie