Saturday, April 5, 2008

What's in a name???

NOTE: There's a semi-naughty word in the first track of my muzack. I mean, it's kind of naughty. The first half of it is in the Bible. And it belonged to Balaam.... But lots of things are in the Bible that you really shouldn't say/do to one another.... Anywho.





Well. Betty has tagged me! I'm supposed to chat about my biz. name. How, why, etc. Which is mildly interesting as I changed it about a year ago? Anyway. My first name was "Magdalenz Harper Dolls", which I really, really, loved...except...no one could remember how to spell it, knew what it meant, remembered it, and I make a LOT of other things besides dollies...with my needle punch designs "taking off", it seemed time to change it up a bit.





I love Magpies--and "Magpie/Megpie/Pie" was one of my many childhood nick-names. And I love nests. So there you go...Magpies "collect" many things...they are constantly stealing bits of stuff to line their nests--just look at this sweet poem/song!




"...For the magpie's nest


It is a cottage neat and clean


It stands 'longside the Shannon


Where the meadows they are green


But I never met a colleen


With such beauties blest


Like the little Irish fairy


In the magpie's nest


For I have wandered all through Kerry


I have wandered all through Clare


From Dublin down to Galway


From there to God knows where


But I never met a colleen


With such beauties blest


Like the little Irish fairyIn the magpie's nest..."




Can't really determine exactly where that passage is from...but I found it while looking up bits about magpies...and, sweet Jenny of Hearthside Cottage helped me with thinking of it (and I know all about her name...it's really cool, and I will tag her, I think...) As Jenny and I were "Rose" and "Chrissy" in Dancing at Lughnasa, it just seemed sweeter. (The whole irish thing). Anyway. Upon changing my name, I discovered that oh, say, 83 other people had the same name--which I somehow didn't discover until I'd changed. So. I could change again to, "The 84th Magpie", or something like that...I actually like my blog name best--"Magpie Feathers", and I suppose I could use that for everything...but then you reach the point in time when you really don't want to be more of a flighty, fickle, gal than you already are...so i guess it's here to stay? Eh, who knows.




I will tag Jenny to tell us all about her name. Then she'll have to blog!!


Now...for some news. As some of you have surmised, eBay stinks. There's a primitve artist, Holly Tree Primitives, who sums it up best. Beginning May 1st, artists are no longer allowed to use "Primitive" in their auction titles. The new fee structure really does target "the little gal", and any product that is digitally delivered is outlawed, starting May 1st. (I discovered that one after converting 14 of my designs to ePattern!!). So, no eBooks, ePatterns, selling templates....I personally think that they have made this change to gradually break from "self-hosted" auction pictures. That saves me soooo much money--I can't imagine how much eBay "loses" because of this. I have to do this really ridiculous listing thing to sell my ePatterns on eBay. It's just silly--and there are many digital artists who have suffered HUGE losses because they can no longer sell templates (which are delivered in digitial form). It's quite sad. I can't imagine starting out as a Folk Artist on eBay and not being allowed to use "primitive" in my title! The true irony is that several years ago, the primitive doll artists asked eBay for a primitive category!!! Anyway. I said all that to say--



Beginning May 1st a good portion of my business will be moved to etsy. It's just a no-brainer. I know that many of you don't shop on etsy, as we've tried before! :) But that's just the way it must be...etsy opperates with a great deal of integrity, supports "hand-made", and it is sooooo much less expensive!


The Primitive Rug Hookers group is already there, and the Best Loved Early Stytches in Tyme gals will be soon. This is a scarey time for eBay Folk and Prim artists, really ALL eBay artists--the combinations of eBay fees and "Big Brother" mentality, combined with our failing economy, add up to disaster. Sales are horrid and eBay's new rules are crippling our businesses...I think you will see more and more of your favorite folks on etsy.


As life would have it, I'm in the position of being able to work less and actually make things that I want to make...so, once again, I'm trying to turn all of this into a "blessing"--and hoping things will turn out for my friends who rely on their income as artists.

Sooooo...whew! I guess that's it! That was a mighty long post! I hope to post a little bit, helpful links, etc. about buying and selling on etsy in the next few days.

Blessings,

Meg


No comments: