Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Pin Cushions & An Award!!

Life isn't easy
for the Pin Cushion Queen.
When she sits alone on her throne,
Pins push through her spleen.
Tim Burton

One of my favoritest Tim Burton Poems-- yes, he writes poetry too! All charmingly illustrated...

But, I digress--what's all the hullabaloo about Pin Cushions?? I was so excited to realize there is some folklore associated with pin cushions (or pinkeeps, as you will...), according to Martha Stewart. And we won't question her, now will we?! This is a sweet little freebie project on her site (click picture at right):
Martha writes:
"Pincushions were once set on mantels in new homes to bring occupants prosperity..."
What a loverly gift for newlyweds or a housewarming...!

I have to tell you, the sweetest thing happened--after a long, long, day, I checked my email to find that Trudy of Bits of Wool has given me an award...

"Primitive Excellence Award"

And, as blog awards go, I am will pay it forward and share the sweetness...!

Here are my picks:

These four gals define Primitive Folk Art, for me, as a folk artist...

Sherry's exquisite hooked rugs and whimsies...I own one of Sherry's hooked pieces, and I can tell you that her craftsmanship is incomparable! And, she is so willing to share her years of experience--I've lost count of how many of us girls she's taught to hook, over the phone (yes, that does sound a bit racey doesn't it?!)

Lori's fabulous work--her scherenschnitte (papercuttings) are timeless--a rare quality in the modern folk art world...

Joee & Dylan never cease to amaze us all with their innovative and beautiful designs--I have long admired the "honest" quality of their work! And every week, rain or shine, there's something new to enchant and amaze!!

Rochelle's dollies are simply wonderful in every way--muslin folk figures that demand you fall in love with them...and it's quite easy, believe me. Each is their very own little personage--Rochelle takes traditional "techniques" and then sprinkles each figure with a sense of humor, happiness, and a sweet spirit. Dollie Goodness personified! :)

Now, I really must fly from the nest...my husband & I are headed to The Inn of Glenhaven to celebrate our 9th anniversary! I am soooo excited! I am taking my sketchbook, of course, and my camera to take pictures to share with you...the Estus area is one of Colorado's most beautiful spots...stay tuned!

Until next time,

Blessings,

Meg





1 comment:

Jo James said...

Awww, shucks. . .
Thanks Nutmeg!