Monday, July 2, 2007

A Daring Move...

...oh yes, it's revolutionary my dear friends. I think this blog is it. Really. I think that pretty soon it will just take over the ol' website I have-for-no-apparent-reason.

Although, I must admit, that when you state "I'm self-employed" (and you get THE LOOK. You know the one....), and then you get THE QUESTION:

Oh. What do you do????

Ah. What, indeed, do I do? Well, Ms. XPQ....I am an artist.

Oh. Uh.... (and here, she actually gets a bit flustered...I've thrown her some kind of curve-ball or something...she was expecting direct-selling companies with ornate pyramids...or she was thinking I'd started my own church...or that I make and sell vegan corn-dogs...something like that. But no. No, no, Ms. XPQ. I make ART. Hah!) ...what kind of art?

Okay. Now the corn-dogs were pushing, I'll admit. But I have seriously, honestly, fielded the above question. WHAT KIND OF ART. And I'll tell you, I'm freakitin tempted to make up a new "movement". Like, say, I'll be like:

"Oh, I'm a horkenstatter. Part of a guilde, have my own kiln and all...you know, with the natural fibers...NOT the synthetic frooglenabbers. I feel pretty strongly about using 100% 'nabbers. I mean, who can deny a good, quality, froogle?? Just like my Grandmother used....I feel like I'm really passing something along, you know..."

Anyway. Who cares what kind of art???? We kind of get right back to the what-do-you-do idiocy. Really. Okay...back in the real world, I actually say:

I'm a folk artist. (And then, my my, you really get the look! And you can see Ms. XPQ thinking....was the rotweillwer poo fella a folk artist? hmmm.....) But all I have to say, to relieve all tension, to diffuse and validate this akward interview, is this:

I have a website.

And then, "we're cool", Ms. XPQ and I. We are good-to-go.

But, I am giving away all of that security for a mere $20 a month (...which buys a little more than 5 gallons of milk, you know.)

I've experimented, and saying, "Well, I have a blog!", just doesn't have the same effect. But that's okay. Hopefully my skin will thicken along with my bones...

I guess we'll see?

Until next time,
Blessings,
Meg

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nut,
You are a blast!! I LOVE this entry!! So humbling and true!

That mrs. xpq needs to learn a thing or two.....the world needs more xyz's like us to show up those xpq types and send them on their hoity way.....

Com-dogs! LOL

Hugs,
Tink

Anonymous said...

absolutely hilarious! it is funny what validation hoops we make one another jump through.

but i think you should try the first response...just once.

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Megpie, are you teaching a course on your "Horkenstatter" technique? I'd love to attend! :)
~Peanut

Dixie Redmond said...

Aw, Nutmeg that was so funny. I so understand that look.

What kind of art? They usually mean watercolors or oils, of course. The art-world is scary to the xpq's meggles. It's unCHARTED. You gotta give 'em a map. Or a website.

BTW, I call my blog, "my site". It really validates it. ;-)

Dix

Anonymous said...

hahahahah Hi Nutmeg!! that was sooo funny!!!
I am lol!!!Love your new b ears too!!
hugs squiggy