Wednesday, January 14, 2009

twilight


Okay...I admit it. I'm a book-snob. (But I am NOT an art snob!!)...and, to be quite frank, I've been known to watch all manner of drivel on the glass teat* while I'm working. We were in Barnes Noble to get loot with our Christmas money and gift cards and I saw Twilight (which is everywhere!)--I had the book in hand and listened to some young women in front of me talking about it. It's teen fiction. I put the book back. (snob!)

But then, more and more, I began to hear of reasonable, smart, interesting, people reading and talking about The Twilight Saga. And though the name in itself may imply something along the lines of Flowers in the Attic, I assure you, gentle reader...it is not something along those lines!! In a word, Stephanie Meyers is a brilliant writer. Of course, I enjoyed her stay-at-home-mom how-did-you-ever-do-something-like-this!? story on her site--that's always "nice to hear" when stay-at-home mamas prove their talents and skills....but. Ms. Meyers is a brilliant author!
*****************************************
I noted--and if you read it perhaps you'll note as well?--that Bella (main character) is never completely "described" to the reader. Sort of. She can turn in to whatever the reader wants, or so it seemed to me. Which was a bit of a struggle for me...I'm really well past the teen-age years!...and i couldn't imagine my daughter falling in love with a vampire! (She's 7. And, well, I should hope she'll meet a nice boy without fangs...). It seemed a transient characterization--Bella can be "any girl" who's reading the book. Which is a darn good thing for teen fiction! (and certainly didn't "lessen" my experience...)


by the way please remember that i have scars on my brain and if the book does thoroughly describe Bella and i'm dead wrong don't send me any plastic vampire teeth or leave a snarky comment. thanks. :)


I got the book Saturday afternoon and instantly devoured it (heh-heh). I was reading the part where the vampires play baseball as my husband and I were travelling Sunday afternoon, and it was so cool!, I read it to Joe as we were driving...now we're going to read Twilight aloud together. (We did that with the first Harry Potter books....how sweet, huh? Why did we ever stop reading to each other??? We haven't done that in, like, 6 years! Why would we--oh, right. Chloe's 7. We had kids.)

So then, Monday, I traded in some stuff to get New Moon, the second book. And, um, yeah. I really don't have time for all of this reading!--However, at present I can count on at least one or two out-of-commission days... I'm going to send Ms. Meyers some roses!
I will say too, after finishing the second book (no, it's not like an addiction. I read fast. really. i did those classes where they have the little rolly-machines and questions at the end and....okay. I admit it. I really need to do some laundry. And I need to clean---wait! enough about me, let's keep going with my book review....).

Alright. Second book. New Moon. Meyers totally avoids the usual ennui and angst of the vampire quandary~~the whole damnation conundrum, if you will. I mean, sure-sure (inside joke), there's some of that...all vampires everywhere could be, quite possibly, darned to heck. Or maybe they're in heck now??? hmmmmmm.............. But, so far, The Twilight Saga doesn't "do" that. There's action, not too much violence, not any "language", and a sweet, beautiful, love story (no sex)....I'm doing that whole parent-rating thing, aren't I?

The first song on my playlist is "Bella's Lullaby"... But I can't tell you anymore than that. Go read the book! And yes, I hope to see the film soon....
It seems to be very well done (clips are here!
If you've read it, tell me what you thought!!
blessings,
meg

*Stephen King refers to Television as "the glass teat" in On Writing. I think. Again...the scars...

5 comments:

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Hi Nutmeg! ~ FUN post & I'm a book snob too...AND I was wondering about "Twilight"...I might have to get it NOW!

SpOOky Hugs,
Chris :-)

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

Ok, so now I'm in the soup. I just got done this morning with New moon for the second time around....no, I didn't get the fridge cleaned again yesterday. My oldest daughter read twilight when it first came out, what, almost 3 years ago? Anyway, no way was I going to read that. All of my daughters, all married had read them and told me I was missing out. But in the end I did. This summer or fallish, I read all four of them, one after the other.
I was a doomed reader. I didn't like Bella much by the end of the 2nd book, (I'm a Jake fan) and I thought the 4th book too adult for a teen girl or boy to read. But I did like the books. The movie was great.( I saw it a few times...ok, 4)(but with different people each time does that count as being obsessed? It's coming out to buy for our own little selves towards the end of March. My 20 year old son has twilight on cd and is planning on getting the next ones as well. I read a review that said they thought it was a low budget film. Go see the film and judge for yourself. Hope you enjoy it! Stephenie herself has a cameo spot in the movie. (A diner at the bar of the cafe, the 2nd time they eat there.) :-)

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

Oh yeah, After I went to see the movie, I was at long last, in like with Bella and Edward. However, I'm a Jake fan. :-)

Meg Wommack said...

oh...no, no, no. NOT jake!! :) okay...now i've read the third one, and saw the movie tonight! LOL--totally worth the ticket to watch the baseball scene...which was why i wanted to go! glad to hear from another, er, NOT obsessed fan!
blessings~~
Chris--can't wait to hear what you think!

Laura Barnes said...

I was so addicted to the series I read them all in less than 3 weeks. I completely checked out of the real world. The house was a mess. And I was so smitten by the sweet love story that my latest child was conceived on Twilight, I have to admit.