Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Baking Bread...

Over the past few weeks I have been baking bread for my family...every few days I'll make up another loaf or two, or some rolls to have with dinner...here's the recipe. It's a very easy yeast bread~~ I've adjusted some ingredients (safflower oil instead of veg. oil, honey instead of sugar) to make the recipe more healthful.



Better Batter Bread

(makes one loaf)

3 1/4 c. flour

1 package quick-rise yeast

2 T honey

2 t. salt

1 1/2 c. warm water

1 T olive or safflower oil


Mix 2 c. flour, yeast, salt, and sugar. Make impression in dry ingredients and pour warm water, honey, and oil into dry ingredients. Now, mix together by hand or with hand-mixer until batter is very, very, smooth (2 minutes or so). Gradually stir in remaining 1 1/4 cup of flour. Cover and let rise until double, 20-30 minutes.



Stir down batter with a spoon and place in greased bread pan (or divide out into a muffin pan for rolls). Cover and let rise 20-30 minutes, until batter reaches the top of the pan.



Bake in pre-heated 375* oven for 35-40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool...









For those of you without bread machines (like me!) it's an easy-peasy way to bring wholesome baked bread back into the everyday routine...I almost know it by heart!




On another note, or rather a different note within the same song, I am determined to grow a garden this year. A bountiful garden full of good, safe, food for us to eat. We've been composting, planting and sowing companion plants to keep the bad bugs away...I have been mothering my baby seedlings...hardening off, rushing them indoors when the weather turns (and in Colorado that can be QUITE the task! Our weather can change in a heartbeat...) Anyway. Today, cold sleeting rain is supposed to turn to snow.



Now, last weekend, though too early, I got everything outside and in pots for the most part. I am container gardening to make the very most of our water, and to ensure that the soil is "just right". We also have a wicked short growing season, so I've been starting seeds and growing things in 800 square feet of house since January!!! It was time, Colorado weather or no, to move outside...and now snow?! Like I didn't know this would happen!

But now everything's in it's permanent container home...not little peat pots or starter trays! Big, heavy, pots, and there's no way they can spend the night indoors...sooooo...while my bread's risin', this is what happens:

I go outside in flip-flops (not the brightest bulb, am I?) and begin to cover everything with old grocery bags...some I can weight under the pots, and some need to be tied up...and it is soooooo cold~!! Oh my stars it's freezing, and I'm ducking my head against the wind and Mags (almost 3) is standing and looking through the screen door at me like I'm nuts...my husband was at work or else I'd have been yelling: "Come help me save the crops, Pa! We're gonna lose 'em by mornin'!!"

The tomatoes had better be juicy, that's all I have to say.

I hope to have a new dollie to show you soon...I'll be working on a few things tomorrow...and i ABSOLUTELY will be shipping Rochelle a box of yummy dollie goodness. Really.

Until we meet again,
I'll bring the grocery bags and you bring the bread...(was that the name of a punk band?),

Blessings,
Meg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Meg,
Love your blog. I do hope you get the garden you want. We are planning one too!!! It has been rainy here in Washington.Well, hey lookin' forward to reading more. XOXOXO. Mica Garbarino

Sam I Am said...

Hey Nutters!! You're blogging??? How cool! :)
hugs..sam

roshekie said...

Oh yes, we have got spearmint, tomatoes, thyme, basil, catnip, habaneros, and strawberries so far... Love this gardening thing! We definitely have an easier time than you with our mild weather, though... Chock full of character you be! :) I'll believe the box when I see it... :) -Roro