Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Good Morning!!

*Gentle Morning*


Hello there! *The Humble Arts* co-operative site has been updated and there are many wondrous goodies to be had!! (I popped in first thing this morning...) *Gentle Morning* is my current offering...I do wish the wonderful textures would show up a bit better!! The colors are slightly muted, but still fairly "true"...


http://www.thehumblearts.com/


And what am I up to this morning??? Wellllll....I am making an Annie doll. I started late last night, and she should be done by the day's end. Annie will be offered in finished and pattern form...and in light of making a pattern for her, I wanted to really offer something~~if not different~~then, "honest", if that makes sense. So, I began by browsing through American Folk Dolls (Wendy Lavitt) & of course, American Rag Dolls, Straight from the Heart (Estelle Patino). By the way, these 2 books are invaluable resources for Folk and Primitive Doll Artists!! Anyhoo...I noticed that the Annies that seemed most "real", most genuine, had a few different things in common...but I was especially drawn to a 1915 picture...now, the hair was brown yarn, but it definitely seems to have a reddish tint...or do I just imagine that because that's what I'm used to? :) And the early dolls seem to always be in some sort of blue dress with white pinny, so mine shall be too...here she is, just a start:


Remember how excited I was to felt those bunnies' features? Well, my Annie's nose and mouth are felted from red wool yarn, same as her hair...and in keeping with wanting a traditional look, I tried to sand off a lot of the staining and give her an old and worn body...she is really, really, wanting her arms, striped legs and black shoes...(they are stuffed & still need sewn to her and painted.) She is sweet, isn't she?


I'll post more pictures as soon as she's done!!
Blessings,

Meg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meg, I just got onto your website through an ad in an American craft magazine, then I saw you had a blog. So I just HAD to come across and take a look. I also dabble in punch needle designs here in Australia. But I just love all your work and I have already discovered you like to do work in lots of different styles. For example not all primitive or whatever. I do that too I jump form prim to whimsical to contempory all the time. Anyway great work I will certainly be back.

Meg Wommack said...

Thank you for your consideration, Kirsty! :) And it is hard to stick to one style, isn't it? I always find myself "carrying over", so maybe I'll end up with one blended sort of, um, something? that's all my own? LOL

Blessings,
Meg